Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
Established in 1984, Baykar is a defense, aerospace and technology company which manufactures large unmanned aerial vehicles, control systems, simulators and avionics systems. Baykar made Turkey’s first indigenous unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV).
The company said the trend is shifting to electric cars, aircraft and autonomous vehicles and wants to be part of this emerging technology so they can be at the forefront and sell indigenous eVTOL aircraft instead of importing them from other countries. The Cezeri eVTOL aircraft project was started on January 10, 2019.
If we start to advance R & D activities in Turkey [now, then] after 10 years, we can be one of the leading countries in the world in this field. Otherwise, assembly and import will be our destiny. — Cezeri General Manager Haluk Bayraktar. Baykar press release, Aug. 7, 2019.
Baykar’s Technical Director, Selçuk Bayraktar, first Tweeted initial drawings and current graphics of their new electric Vertical Take-Off and Landing (eVTOL) aircraft on August 5, 2019. The quad-copter eVTOL aircraft holds a single passenger, has plenty of windows throughout the cabin for spectacular views and is a 100% electric aircraft. Baykar stated they had an eight (8) month design process and in addition, are building a full-scale prototype within their first eight months with the goal of a completed prototype by September 17, 2019.
Baykar is planning on using Lidar for their aircraft to travel safely through any urban obstacles such as buildings, bridges, cranes, trees, telephone and powerlines and other aircraft. Lidar means light detection and ranging. Sometimes Lidar is referred to as light imaging, detection, and ranging. Lidar uses rotating laser beams to navigate safely through the air.
In terms of speed, range, weight and other specifications, very little has been released to the public concerning the aircraft’s abilities. However, we do know that its expected flight duration is one (1) hour and that ease of piloting, being an all-electric aircraft and safety, are top priorities for this aircraft.
As of August 2019, they have built their first and second prototype. It will have autonomous and semi-autonomous flight modes and is being specifically built for urban air mobility. Baykar showcased a full-scale prototype eVTOL Cezeri personal air vehicle (or as many reported, Turkey’s first domestic flying car) at the 2nd annual Teknofest in Istanbul, Turkey held September 17-22, 2019. The Cezeri eVTOL was said to be the most notable product at the technology festival.
- Aircraft type: eVTOL multi-copter (or eVTOL quad-copter).
- Piloting: Manual/Autonomous.
- Capacity: 1 person.
- Flight duration: 1 hour.
- Electric motors: 8. (1 electric motor per propeller.)
- Ducted fans: 4. Each fan has two sets of propellers.
- Propellers. 8.
- Power: Batteries, 100% electric.
- Instrumentation: 1 touchscreen (The touchscreen looks similar to a large iPad and is mounted horizontally to the aircraft as the main instruments panel in front of the passenger. A collective with a stub arm and a joystick, for forward, left, right and reverse flight, are inside the cockpit. No foot pedals are inside.)
- Detect and avoid sensor: Lidar.
- Windows: Large side and front windows.
- Landing gear: Skids.
- Search eVTOL News posts
- Baykar website
- Baykar Facebook
- Baykar Twitter
- Baykar Linkedin
- Cezeri Artificial Intelligence Robotics Technologies Industry and Trade Inc. website
- Press release: Cezerı, Turkey’s fırst flyıng car debuts at Teknofest, Baykar, Oct. 1, 2019
- Press release: Baykar Flying Car Surprise, Baykar, Aug. 7, 2019
- Article: Cezeri, Turkey’s first flying car debuts at Teknofest, Daily Sabah, Sep. 25, 2019
- Article: Turkey’s First Local and National Flying Car ‘Cezer’, Railly News, Aug. 8, 2019
- Article: Defense firm unveils Turkey’s 1st flying car prototype, Hurriyet Daily News, Aug. 7, 2019
- Article: Turkey’s first flying car prototype unveiled, Daily Sabah, Aug. 6, 2019
- Video: Milli Flying Car “CEZERİ” First Time Viewed at Teknofest! / 2019, Ne Alsam, Sep. 20, 2019.
- Video: National flying car ‘Cezeri’ showcased, Anadolu Agency, Sep. 18, 2019
- Video: Baykar Cezeri Flying Car first review, Direksiyonda, Sep. 17, 2019